Our Website has a New Look!
Our Website Has a New Look!
Throughout the past year, the Communications Committee has been working to bring you a re-designed website with community news and the ability to share information, and viewpoints, with your neighbors. Along with the capabilities we enjoyed in the past, the new website brings some important improvements:
- You are not required to enter a password to read non-member news and information. The new website will present articles of general interest to everyone without requiring you to log-in.
- The new website allows you to comment on articles. We want to know what you think and how you feel about events in your community. This website allows you to share your viewpoints with your neighbors and the association. In order to post a comment however, you will have to log-in and give your name. Anonymous posting, and comments by non-members are not allowed.
- The new website will render properly on mobile devices. When you use your smartphone or pad device to view website content, things will scale down so they are still readable.
- Members will still have secure access to association documents, meeting minutes, studies and reports. In addition, a website search feature is now provided, so you can find information on rules and policies. Non-members will not have access to this secure area.
In addition to delivering new capabilities and an updated look, the new website is built on a platform which can be extended and enhanced by association staff. The Communications Committee wanted to build a website which could easily change as Somersett grows and changes.
- This website, its content and any software developed for it are the property of the Somersett Owner’s Association; we don’t have to pay licensing fees for the use of the software which drives the website.
- Because we have used open-source, non-proprietary software, we are not restricted to a single contractor for improvements and maintenance. In fact, most of the website’s features can be maintained by association staff.
- This website is state-of-the art. The old website was cumbersome to update and lacked important capabilities, such as the ability to render well on mobile devices. We were limited to a feature set provided by a single vendor. The new website is completely extendable and promises to serve us well into the future without a complete overhaul.
- The new website results in cost-savings. The old website required $8000 annually in fees to operate. The new website required less than that to develop. Going forward, the only cost will be for hosting the site on the Internet.
A website is only as good as the information it provides and the readership it attracts. Recognizing this, we have brought a new Communications Director, Ashley Cook, on board to keep the website fresh and to moderate discussions and comments. Ashley will be continuously looking for news and articles to keep you informed about Somersett and the surrounding areas. The new website makes publishing quick and easy, so we hope you will contact Ashley if you have an article you would like published or an opinion you feel should be shared with all of us. We all know Somersett is a great place to live and it deserves first-rate communications and information technology. This website is a first step toward integrating Somersett’s multiple data stores into a unified system owned and managed by the association. We hope you like our new look, will visit the new site often and will be moved to comment and participate.